How do I contact the BlaqOUT Conference organizers?
Email us at: BlaqOUTucr@gmail.com
Email Toi Thibodeaux the primary conference organizer at: toi.thibodeaux(at)ucr.edu
When is the BlaqOUT Conference?
April 27-28, 2018. The official conference opens Saturday at 9am. For more information, visit the Schedule page when it is available.
Where is the BlaqOUT Conference?
UC Riverside is hosting the conference. Visit the Travel & Stay page for more information.
What are important deadlines?
- Workshop submission closes:
March 1, 2018EXTENDED!! March 15, 2018
- Workshop acceptance notification: by
March 12thPushed back March 20th
- Online application to attend closes:
March 1, 2018EXTENDED March 15, 2018
- Notification of acceptance to attend: Ongoing
- Registration payment (if accepted to attend): April 13th
How much does it cost to attend?
- The Regular Registration Fee is $20 per person selected to attend and a t-shirt is included.
- The Reduced Registration Fee is $10 per person selected to attend NO t-shirt.
- Some scholarships will be available for those unable to afford reduced registration.
- Information on paying registration fees will be sent via email to those people selected to attend BlaqOUT.
- For those receiving support from their campus (student government or departments), an invoice and W-9 form will be provided upon request.
What food will be provided?
Registered participants will be provided hospitality on Saturday morning, lunch on Saturday afternoon, and hospitality on Saturday evening.
Who may attend the BlaqOUT Conference?
The conference is organized for people who identify as Black/African American or of African descent that also identify as Same Gender Loving, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning or somewhere on the LGBT spectrum. An online application process is used to select attendees. The conference is focused towards people on college campuses (students, staff and faculty). Community members are also welcome to apply to attend.
We will open online applications in December. Those selected to attend BlaqOUT will be notified by email.
If you are an ally to our communities, we encourage you to attend one of the regional or national LGBTQ Conferences scheduled in 2018. Please check our blogpost archive for a list of upcoming conferences.
Can out-of-state students attend?
Yes! We welcome students from any state.
Can high school students attend?
No, this conference is for folks who are 18 and over.
Can other people of color, white people and/or straight people attend?
No, we are asking our allies to respect the BlaqOUT Conference as a closed space for folks who identify as Black/African American or of African descent and on the LGBT spectrum. If you are an ally to our communities, we encourage you to attend one of the regional or national LGBTQ Conferences scheduled in 2018. Please check our blogpost archive for a list of upcoming conferences.
What are “closed spaces?”
BlaqOUT will include some closed spaces. Closed spaces such as caucuses bring together people around a particular identity. In order to create a safer space for courageous conversations, we ask only people who self-identify with the space’s intended audience participate.
Will there be gender-neutral restrooms?
Yes. Most conference activities will take place in the Highlander Union Building. The 3rd floor will have 2 gender neutral, multi-stall restrooms and 1 single-occupancy restroom. The 2nd floor has 2 gender specific, multi-stall restrooms.
When does the online application to attend BlaqOUT open?
Where do I park and how much does it cost?
- Parking Reciprocity – UCR extends parking privileges to visitors owning a valid faculty or staff commuter-parking permit from other UC campuses. A one-day permit can be obtained at no charge from an Information Kiosk attendant.
- Disabled Parking – A disabled visitor may park in any disabled parking space displaying only a DMV-issued disabled parking placard.
- Ontario International Airport is 17 Miles from UCR, and by far the easiest airport to fly into.
- Southwest Airlines offers direct service between many cities and Ontario.
- SuperShuttle offers airport service for $39 each way between Ontario and Riverside.
Where can I stay in Riverside and how much are hotels?
Visit the Travel & Stay page for more information.
Will ADA-related accommodations be provided to participants?
Please include needed accommodations when you apply online.